816: Evidence of a church in Banff
1178-1199: The Parish Church in Banff chartered
1323: Henry of Spynie the earliest known vicar
1471: Church rebuilt
1591: Banff Parish was separated from Alvah
1634: Banff Parish was separated from Boyndie
1761: Old Church ‘in a ruinous state’ (and pulled down in
1789-90: Present Church was built
1839: Spire added
1843: The Disruption: Banff Free Church established on
site opposite the Castle
1877: Present Banff Parish Church renovated, a harmonium
introduced and five stained glass windows inserted
1914: Banff United Free Church established after union
with Banff Trinity Church
1927: Banff Parish Church renovated and reconstructed. A chancel and apse, an organ chamber and
vestry were erected; a Communion table, pulpit and baptismal font added and three
stained glass windows inserted in the chancel and the interior renovated. Suite
of Church Halls erected.
1929: Trinity United Church reunites with Church of
Scotland and becomes Banff Trinity Church
1961: Banff Trinity joins Alvah Parish Church
1994: A single Parish Church in Banff is formed from
union of Banff Parish Church with Banff Trinity and Alvah Parish Church.
Click here for a history of the Church.
Built by Conacher, rebuilt by Hilsdon 1928.
Click here for the Organ Specification.